I LOVE Italian food. I mean what is not to love? Pasta-delicious, Sauces-yum, cheese-yes please! In my home we have some variation of Italian food probably once a week and we love it.
Every Sunday I sit down and write a menu for the week on this neat little magnet dry erase board on our fridge. Well for Friday night’s dinner I decided I needed to have some chicken parmesan. I have tons of Pinterest boards with lots of delicious recipes I usually add my own spin to. Which is what I did here. It took me about 20 minutes to prep and 25 to cook. I threw a little bit of Texas French Toast in the oven towards the end and chopped up a little side salad to compliment our main course and did it all during the 25 minutes it took to cook the chicken. This recipe I was able to feed 4.
The original recipe called for marina sauce, garlic bread crumbs, mozzarella, parmesan, chicken, pasta, butter, salt and pepper. Lately we have been trying to make as much of our own ingredients and spices if possible.
Well this Mamma Bear decided to make my own marinara sauce! And I am so happy that I did. A little bit of research was all it took to find a good combination of spices to add to the tomato sauce and voila! Now I did not have any fresh tomatoes on hand so my sauce was not as fresh as it could have been, but given what I had on hand I was really pleased with the turnout. Next time I will definitely try my hand at making the sauce completely from scratch, but for now canned tomato sauce and a little bit of paste did the trick.
The husband and kids both loved it! And nothing makes this Mamma Bear happier than seeing them enjoying something I made. I had not even considered writing about this until he suggested that I do it. So why not! I hope you guys enjoy making this recipe.
- 2 full boneless chicken breasts
- 16 oz spaghetti
- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 4 slices bread (wheat or white)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1.Toast 4 slices of bread until they are crunchy. Once you remove them add them to your blender along with 1.5 tsp of garlic powder. Hit the on button of your blender and you just made your own bread crumbs!
- 2.Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Cut your two chicken breasts in half making them thinner slices.
- 3.In a small bowl melt about ¼ of a stick of butter, no preference to salt or unsalted. We will be using this for the crumbs to stick to the chicken. Rub butter on both sides of the chicken and put coat your chicken with your home made bread crumbs.
- 4.You can choose to spray nonstick on your baking sheet or use foil. I prefer foil for easier clean up. Place your chicken on your baking sheet and throw it in the oven for 25 minutes.
- 5. 15 minutes into the baking of the chicken I took it out and added the cheese and some sauce on top and let it bake for another 10 minutes
- 1.Pour the two cans of sauce and one can of paste into the pot at low-medium heat. Add the basil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper to your sauce and continue to stir
While your chicken is baking make the sauce. I love over saucing my pasta so I made a lot of sauce. I even had some leftover which I plan to use to make some quick pita pizzas during the week =) . I made the sauce after the chicken was in the oven, this way I could quickly make it and add it to the chicken before it finished baking.