Who doesn’t love DIY costumes? Last week I shared with you the DIY Lion Costume & this week I have another one for you!!! I partnered up with Cameo from @cam_ee_oo to bring you this Where the Wild Things Are Monster costume! I can’t get over how cute this is!!!!
Cameo got the idea for the costume from the dance studio she works work at, Soulfire Studios! They have the most amazing and creative costume wardrobe to go along with their StoryDance classes, and this costume is just one of them! Check out their website for more info on classes HERE
This costume is so cute & extremely easy to make! I am always so surprised at how easily some of these costumes can be made. Now let’s get to making this perfect little monster costume!!!
Felt (dark and light blue)
Yarn (dark and light blue)
4 thick hair ties
Dark blue ribbon
Baby Bird Boutique Black or Light Blue Romper for base! Use codes LIBBYBIRD & BEARBIRD to save extra!!!
Bushy Cat ears (or other animal ears)
- Cut felt into small strips about a half inch wide and 7 inches long
- Cut both types of yarn into 7 inch pieces
- Take a piece of your felt/yarn, fold in half and tie around outside of a hair tie. Continue tying around the hair tie, alternating felt and yarn until you fill the hair tie.
- Place the hair ties around your little ones wrists and ankles
- Take ribbon and cut at an appropriate length to tie around your child’s neck. You want the collar to fit like a necklace would, not a choker 😉
- Cut strips of felt about a half inch wide and 15 inches long.
- Cut both types of yarn into 15 inch pieces
- Take a piece of your felt/yarn, fold in half and tie around the ribbon collar. Continue tying around the ribbon, alternating felt and yarn until you fill the ribbon, leaving a couple inches of ribbon free on each side to tie around your child’s neck
Related Post: Lion DIY Costume
Add some animal ears (Cameo preferred bushy brown cat ears) and your little monster is ready to rock! This costume is super easy to add some layers if you have cold weather, pair with a long sleeve underneath and tights or high socks! You cannot go wrong with this costume & after you are done you still have a beautiful romper from The Baby Bird Boutique for your little one to keep on rocking!
Stay tuned for a couple of other DIY ideas for you coming soon!!!