5 Ways to Take Care of Your Sick Family

[ad]The cough, the chills, the fever. It usually starts with one of the kids and before we know it we are sick too! Read my 5 ways to take care of your sick family with Kleenex! #TakeCareWithKleenex

The flu has hit our home! It was only a matter of time before that infamous flu found us! It started with Zoey, as it many times does considering she is in school with a ton of other kids all day. Then within 24 hours it got Lia! I was trying desperately to stay afloat and away from the illness! Good luck to me right? Well just when I thought I was in the clear it got me! The body aches, the chills, the sore throat, the runny nose! It was almost inevitable if you ask me. Because sick kiddos need all our love and attention you can typically find me somewhere between the bowls of soup and Kleenex tissue boxes. Even though this is not my first rodeo I always go into a 5 minute panic mode where I try to remember what to do and how to take care of them and myself. Don’t fear my friends this time around I am writing my 5 ways to take care of sick family so you don’t have to panic. I’m with you !

1.Stock up on Kleenex tissues

You can NEVER have too many tissue boxes. How many times has your child’s teacher asked for donations? Plenty of times! Why? Because they are a must on hand at all times! With two sick kids I was so happy to know my local Wal Mart was fully stocked and made it such a breeze for me to get in and get out quickly. Boy did I need them fast! It was a boogery mess! It still is! Kleenex are not your average tissues. Kleenex kills 99.9% of cold and flu viruses in the tissue! They have so many options from tissue with lotion, antiviral, and ultra soft. My favorite has got to be the Kleenex with Lotion because our noses don’t get chapped no matter how many times we blow our nose or the kiddos. Kleenex has moisture activated blue dot layer with special anti viral formula to kill cold and flu viruses.

2.Stay hydrated

Water, water, and tons of water. We make sure to keep ourselves and the girls drinking water all day. This definitely helps us with the sore throat feeling and to flush whatever we have out of our system. Warm teas are also a great way to stay hydrated while soothing your body too. Add a spoonful of honey to make it sweet and you are ready to go. Just make sure to skip those caffeinated and sugar filled drinks. Those can actually dehydrate you even more.

3.Spoonfuls of Honey

I swear by this. Soon as I feel my throat start to feel soreI take a spoonful of honey with a few drops of lemon on top. Works wonders. Honey works great to help suppress your cough and coat your throat too. Just remember this is not suitable for little ones under 1.

4.Soup

Soup is a great way to naturally reduce inflammation in your body. I’m serious! It isn’t just a tasty feel good meal when you are sick! Research actually shows it really does help you get better! My go to is chicken noodle! YUM! It helps sooth some of the symptoms and aches while providing you with calories and liquid your body needs for energy.

5.Rest

This is probably the most difficult to make happen with kids. BUT! Guess what? The laundry can wait, the cleaning can wait. Just lay down and relax. Throw on a family movie and just enjoy some down time. Rest is one of the best things you can give your body to help it fight that bug. If someone offers to lend a hand, let them. Just cuddle up with your kids. You’d be surprised at the power of snuggles.

You bet I am going full force with all these this flu season! Getting sick seems to be inevitable when you have kids. But with these 5 tips and Kleenex by your side you can at least be more comfortable. Because let’s face it, moms don’t get any sick days !

Share:

1. Amanda
    December 29, 2017 / 4:01 am

I had no idea honey was good for sore throats! I’ll have to pick some up before I get sick again.

2. December 29, 2017 / 10:47 am

Kleenex is my go-to brand of tissue as well. Adding some honey to a cup of hot tea is never a bad thing either.

3. Kaycee
    December 29, 2017 / 7:21 pm

We just got over the “plague” as we call it! Never fun having a sick family! Honey does wonders though! I usually heat a cup of water, squeeze honey and lemon in it. That is super soothing to a sore throat!

4. Hannah | lovely little lives
    December 30, 2017 / 2:11 pm

Soup is so good when you are sick!

5. December 30, 2017 / 11:38 pm

Honey is a life saver that stuff works! Great list, both of my kids were sick during the holidays.. not fun!

6. January 2, 2018 / 12:25 pm

Flu is the WORST – I always make sure to get my flu shot but if that fails, I definitely agree with the points about staying hydrated and making soup from scratch (if I have the energy)! I find that coconut water is great for dehydration during colds and flu … especially as it replenishes electrolytes. Feel better soon!

xo Jaime
    Angloyankophile

• January 7, 2018 / 5:50 pm

Coconut water is probably amazing for it!

7. hal
    January 2, 2018 / 12:32 pm

ugh – that’s the worst – hope y’all feel better soon – liquids, liquids, liquids is key for me!

8. Ariel
    January 3, 2018 / 6:25 am

All three of these are super important for taking care of people while they are sick. I never knew about the honey so I will definitely have to try that. Thank you for sharing this great information.

9. January 3, 2018 / 8:15 am

My husband does that honey trick too! But we’ve never tried it with lemon. Sometimes though, he’ll gurgle a spoonful of apple cider vinegar which is supposed to help with a sore throat too.

10. January 4, 2018 / 8:01 am

Very informative and educative post. Honey is one thing we dont lack in our house because we know it uses.

11. January 4, 2018 / 3:29 pm

When you get sick it’s so hard to make sure you get enough rest when you’re taking care of sick kids. The flu season is just rough when you have kids. Thanks for sharing!

12. January 4, 2018 / 5:32 pm

Great tips especially for this time of year.

• January 7, 2018 / 5:48 pm

thank you! hope they can helpl you out

13. January 5, 2018 / 2:08 am

Ah I hate getting the flu but I swear my husband thinks he gets it worse 🙂 You have some good tips there and I definitely agree with all of them. The only one hat I didn’t know is about the spoonful of honey that definitely sounds good

• January 7, 2018 / 5:47 pm

hahaha men are hilarious when theyre sick!

14. January 5, 2018 / 10:08 am

Ugh, I hope I don’t get the flu this season. I just got my flu shot after getting the flu two years in a row! Hope you all feel better soon!

• January 7, 2018 / 5:46 pm

hope you stay healthy! we got it like 3 times before it went away

15. January 5, 2018 / 11:13 am

Just reading about flu makes me shiver and feel sick! You’re right, lots of (hot) liquids do help and relieve congestion. Actually the hot soup is part of this home made remedy.
    All the best for 2018 – and stay healthy!

• January 7, 2018 / 5:46 pm

thank you! this season the flu has been horrible

16. January 6, 2018 / 10:03 am

I can’t imagine having to be sick and still take care of a family. It’s just me and my husband and luckily we’ve never both been sick at the same time!

17. January 6, 2018 / 10:52 pm

Omg! This was me last year. I needed a post like this then. I was struggling to maintain myself and nurse my then 1 year old back to health.

• January 7, 2018 / 5:44 pm

its so difficult to be sick as a mother! and nursing! oh my I hated being sick when I was nursing! you are doing a great job mama!