For the past 9 years my friends and family come to all of our family parties with the expectation of one thing: my mom’s arroz con leche! She finds some cute containers to theme them out relative to whatever party theme we have and as soon as they are put out everyone knows to grab one.
Heck, many times people grab extra and take them to go. They basically don’t last on our dessert tables. This easy & delicious traditional Mexican dessert is one to leave you definitely wanting more. Whether you prefer it warm and freshly made like my husband, room temperature like the majority of people, or cold like myself you want to give this recipe a try.
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2.5 cups of water
- 1 La Lechera sweetened condensed milk
- 1 evaporated milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Lemon peel
- 1 cup of milk
- Cinnamon Powder
- Raisins to garnish
- Place the water, rice, lemon peel, and cinnamon stick in a large pot on medium heat and cover it. Let it cook until there is only a small amount of water. About 15-20 mins.
- Bring to low heat & remove cinnamon stick & lemon peel
- Add condensed milk, evaporated milk, and milk to the pot and cover.
- Let it come to a boil and turn off before it is dried out. Remove from heat and let cool to desired temperature. This should be about 15-20mins as well
- Serve & garnish with cinnamon & eat